Saturday, July 9, 2011

So-Good-I-Forgot-To-Snap-A-Picture One Pot Pasta!!

This was the kind of meal Ben and I agreed our future children would beg me to make. Kid-friendly taste, full of veggies with vitamins & antioxidants, protein, fiber, good carbs... the whole works.  I love this recipe because it is ridiculously easy to throw together on a week night, and even suitable for a meal with the in-laws (I'm considering it!)... my only regret was, since this was a spur-of-the-moment kind of meal that I hadn't planned on making last night, I didn't have any fresh baked bread! It would have been INCREDIBLE to have soft bread to mop up our bowls with after we finished the meal. Next time... next time!

Absolutely wonderful flavor. The TVP absorbs whatever it is cooked in, and it has an outstanding texture that would honestly be mistaken for bits of ground beef by most. The frozen veggies cook perfectly with the pasta and add a nice little crunch into the otherwise relatively smooth sauce.

This recipe was inspired by One Pot Pasta on FatFreeVegan.com .

Ingredients:
1 tbsp EVOO
1 cup chopped onion
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 15-oz cans organic diced tomatoes, pureed in a blender
1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups water
2 cups frozen mixed veggies (i was DYING to get rid of the organic corn, carrot, green bean mix I had left from a Costco trip!)
1/2 cup dry TVP (I used the Bob's Red Mill kind. Available at W.F., not sure about Publix)
1 tbs italian seasoning/Herbs de Provence
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp fennel seeds, crushed (i used the bottom of a jar to crush them the best I could)
3/4 tsp sea salt
2 cups whole grain or whole wheat pasta (or pasta of choice -- I used whole grain rotini)
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, with more to taste for garnish

Directions:
1. Heat the EVOO in a pot with a lid over medium heat.
2. Saute the onion and garlic until just beginning to soften.
3. Add the pureed tomatoes, vegetables, TVP, Italian herbs, red pepper flakes, fennel seed, sea salt, basil, and pasta.
4. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and cover the pot.
5. Simmer for about 12-15 minutes, or until pasta and TVP are tender.
6. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes, serve garnished with more chopped basil.

Makes 4 servings.

Next time I might add in almond milk for some of the water or even 1/3 cup nutritional yeast to make it even creamier!

2 comments:

Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} said...

what is TVP?

Caitlin Pyle said...

TVP is texturized vegetable protein, it comes from soy flour. It is a great substitute for ground beef, it seems. In this recipe, it really looked and felt like ground beef on my tongue, so it had a "meat sauce" effect without the cholesterol!

Post a Comment